is a country located in South America, home to 46.6 million people. It is bordered by Chile to the west, Bolivia and Paraguay to the north, Brazil and Uruguay to the northeast, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. The capital of Argentina is Buenos Aires, which is also its largest city. Argentina's population is mostly of European descent, with smaller mestizo, indigenous, and Arab populations. Spanish is the official language of the country.
Argentina is divided into four distinct regions: the North, Pampas, Patagonia, and the Andes Mountains. The subtropical plains in the northeast are split by the Paraná River into Mesopotamia to the east and Gran Chaco to the west and north. The Pampas region, situated south and west of the Paraná, is one of the world's most productive agricultural areas and is the country's most populous region. Patagonia lies south of the Colorado River. The Argentine Andes contain the highest peak on the continent, Mount Aconcagua.
Argentina's hydrology is dominated by rivers such as the Paraná, Uruguay, and Pilcomayo, which all eventually flow into the Río de la Plata. Its economy is largely based on manufacturing and agriculture; Argentina is Latin America's largest exporter of beef and beef products. It has a federal republic form of government with two legislative houses: the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies.
Argentina is known for its varied geography, ranging from subtropical plains to rugged mountains, and its rich cultural heritage. It is home to a number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis and Los Glaciares National Park.
- Cementerio de la Recoleta - built in 1822, this statue-rich cemetery features mausoleums of many notables, including Eva Perón.
- Casa Rosada - a venerable, pink-colored palace that houses the presidential office and features guided tours.
- El Ateneo Grand Splendid - this converted theater was first opened in 1919 and has now been converted into an elegant book store.
- Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes - one of Latin America's largest public art collections, set in a converted drainage pumping station.
- Jardín Japonés - garden with Japanese landscaping, ponds, exhibits, and a plant nursery, plus a sushi restaurant.
- MALBA - a modern museum showcasing 20th century and newer Latin American artwork, cultural events, and films.
- Catedral Metropolitana de Buenos Aires - the former seat of Pope Francis, this cathedral has a history dating back to the early 17th century.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina - official website