The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
is located in the northeastern United States and is one of the New England states. It is bordered by Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York and lies on the Atlantic Ocean. The state has a total area of 10,554 square miles (27,336 sq km) and an estimated population of 6,981,974 for 2022.
As much of the soil in Massachusetts is poor and rocky, agriculture does not play a major role in the economy, although cranberry farming is important. Industries such as electronics, high technology, and communications are the main contributors to the state's economy. Tourism is also important, especially in the Cape Cod region and the Berkshires.
Massachusetts is well known for its many institutions of higher learning and is also home to the state capital of Boston. Its state motto is "Ense Petit Placidam Sub Libertate Quietem" which translates to "By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty". The state bird is the black-capped chickadee and the wild turkey, while the state flower is the mayflower (trailing arbutus). The official state song is “All Hail to Massachusetts”. Massachusetts currently holds nine seats in the U.S. House of Representatives out of 435. Its time zone is Eastern (GMT − 5 hours).
- Faneuil Hall Marketplace - shopping center with many stores and restaurants comprising 3 historic market buildings and a promenade.
- Museum of Science - a venerable institution with interactive exhibits, a dome-shaped IMAX/3D film theater, and a planetarium.
- Old North Church - hallowed 18th-century church and launch point for Paul Revere's revolutionary ride, with tours and more.
- The Paul Revere House - revere's legendary ride began at this restored Colonial-era home, which includes family furnishings.
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum - evocative of a 15th-century Venetian palace, this museum houses a world-class art collection.
- Bunker Hill Monument - marking the Battle of Bunker Hill, this 221-ft. granite obelisk features 294 steps and scenic views.
- Boston Public Schools - official website of the Boston Public Schools, providing information on schools, programs, and services
- Boston City Government - official website of the city of Boston, providing municipal information and services
- Boston University - official website of Boston University, a leading private research institution
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston - official website of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, showcasing a comprehensive collection of artwork
- Boston Red Sox - official website of the Boston Red Sox, providing the latest team news, scores, schedule, and tickets information
- New England Aquarium - official website of the New England Aquarium, featuring information on exhibits, events, and conservation efforts
- Boston Symphony Orchestra - official website of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, providing concert schedules, ticketing, and orchestra news